Skip to main content

Voting

I hear voting is a little more troublesome in Britain on November 6th (though not impossible). Apparently, there are far less voting locations open on that day in old Blighty. Honestly, if the rest of the world really believes that they should have a vote in the US election, the least they can do is make it easy to vote anywhere in the world.

Henry and his homemade civil war outfit

So I voted early. I did my civic duty to the absolutest fullest by ensuring at least one person in my entourage was in US historically-appropriate attire. After searching through my vast wardrobe of great US costumes, I instead settled on taking Henry along. I was most pleased to see that, in recognition of  casting my votes (or as a get-out-the-vote bribe?), that I was duly rewarded with candy. Now, that did not happen the last time I voted in Tennessee or Britain. Strangely, now that I think about it, absolutely zero people turned out dressed as Union civil war soldiers in Tennessee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hello. Welcome to the blog "GordonsBigTrip". A blog about Gordon’s big trip around England and Scotland. Apparently one is not allowed to use apostrophes in the blog URL, so we shall set off on a grammatically incorrect foot. Sorry about that. I am Richard, Gordon’s translator for his 10-day whirlwind trip around England and Scotland . My principal job is to translate between American (Gordon’s native tongue) and English (the language of the locals). I am almost bilingual in American-English, though I sternly refuse to use any 21 st century English popularisms such as “ chav ” Goodness, what a horrible word. I have yet to inform Gordon that I do not speak a word of Scottish, which is a real pity since Gordon has his sights set on having a great time in Scotland. Sorry about that too. Our trip has not even vaguely started (we leave on Thursday November 1 st ), but I need practice “blogging” since I am a quasi- Luddite (I suppose I’m not a full Luddite since I don’...

Bad News for Round-Earthers

The trip has still not started. Shucks. In the meantime, some bad news for all you round-Earthers out there: United Airlines Flight 934 (yes, the very flight that Gordon I will shortly be taking) has definitively discovered that the world is, after all, flat. The amateurish video shows the UAL 934 flight paths from the last couple of weeks. That's right, UAL 934 has proved beyond doubt that Great Circles are indeed not always the shortest distance between two places on the planet. And therefore the world must be flat (I heard someone mutter something about map projections and jet streams, but I'm sure they have no idea what they're on about). I can't really explain what the pilot was doing with that little diversion over Greenland on October 18th though. Perhaps something to do with global warming? Maybe UAL 934 will shortly explode that myth too?

The Yorkshire Dales

We are in Malham in the Yorkshire Dales, famous for being a nice little village and very close to Malham Cove .  Beck Hall, Malham We are staying in a lovely B&B called Beck Hall . Above is the little stone bridge we had to carry our stuff over to get into the B&B, which crosses a little river which we grateful for neither driving nor falling in. Which seemed like a real possibility since we arrived in the black of evening (Yorkshire has a special color assigned to night itself).. Our room And here is Gordon modeling in our room for the night. Not really a great deal to say about that. And here we are drinking and eating in the local pub. The natives consider it terribly rude if you do not try their favorite beer, and we decided to not be terribly rude. Though we did joke about CNN's headline... ... we are under the impression that the "Margin of Error" is a geographical feature in either Middle-earth or something from the Princess...